Jan 6, 2011

The Scarlet Minivet (Pericrocotus flammeus), (Sub Adult) 17 - 21.5 cm

Bird book authors classify this type of Minivet as not 'uncommon'. Yet to set set sight on one will depend on luck and timing of a birder. For me sighting this somewhat different looking Minivet was an unexpected surprise albeit a pleasant one. It was in early Nov 2010 when I was taking pics 'fast & furious' of a bird wave in the highlands of Old Pump House Road, Awana, Genting Highlands, Malaysia. In the process what I saw through my camera's lens did not look like any bird specie I have seen before!

Nonetheless as I took pictures of this unusual bird my mind was scanning for answers, frantically trying to figure out what it might be! Referencing bird guide books later also did not turn up with a positive ID. Following a friend's advice I then posted a pic in a photographers' e-forum. A comment came back soon enough with a description of the plumage formation to support the ID. It is a Scarlet Minivet (Sub Adult), which is also the reason for the 'unusual appearance'. I also posted a pic in an international bird ecology e-forum. A similar reply came back from the website confirmed the ID. Am I glad that the ID of this fine bird was finally settled! My sincere thanks to all parties concerned who had assisted. 2 thumbs up!!  

Here are the pictures for sharing.




Have a good day! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment