Jul 7, 2011

The Oriental Pied Hornbill (Juvenile)

A friend had wanted some tips on how to use his newly acquired DSLR camera. So we made an appointment to meet up at Taman Rimba Kiara, TTDI. As he is interested in nature photography this public park is ideal for the variety of birdlife that could be found in this small area.
It had been a while since my last visit here. Much to my delight for before my friend and I could settle down to go through the finer points of his new camera when a 'smallish' bird flew overhead and perched on a leafless tree some 50 yards from where we stood. I excused myself and instinctive proceeded to walk towards the direction of the now identified Oriental Pied Hornbill. Some friends who frequented the park to exercise had recounted that they have seen 3 hornbills. I personally sighted and photographed only 2, one Black and the other an Oriental Pied Hornbill. Both are matured adults of which were affectionately called the odd couple. But never did I see the third and smaller hornbill. Well at least not until today!  

Before I could get any closer to it's first perch it decided to take-off and flew/glide across the field with me in chase. It cleverly selected a tree thick with foliage and with poor light. It had rained earlier and there was still a cloud overhang. I decided that stealth would be my best chance of getting a few shots for the record. And YESSS! it paid off.

Below are 3 photos.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment