Aug 11, 2011

Sultan Tit (Melanochora sultanea) 20.5 cm

Even seasoned birders will tell you how 'difficult' it is to get a good close look at this skittish and hyperactive bird. Nonetheless it is always a good challenge to play catch-up when they appear, usually a flock within a bird wave. Seldom idle they move from one location to another at great speed and agility.

My encounter with this specie on this birding trip was quite different. Whilst observing other species foraging on a fruiting tree nearby in flew a flock of about 5 to 6 Tits very close to my position. I was then standing under the canopy of  some trees and the whole area around me was shaded and hence lighting was low. I had to keep still and not make any sudden movements whilst the Tits flew above and around me.

I seize opportune moments to made quick moves to snap pictures of one of them which gazed down directly above with an  inquisitive look! It stayed just long enough for me to take a vertical shot. Another one flew past me and perched within 4 meters in front offering a rare opportunity for full frame shots! :-)

   




No comments:

Post a Comment