Dec 13, 2010

The Black-capped Kingfisher ( Halcyon pileata ), 29 - 31.5 cm

I have been on the trail of this kingfisher for over a year now. Occasional sightings but it was either too far away or just too quick for the camera. :-( So it was an on-going search for this elusive bird.

My chance came quite by accident. Just like the saying ' when you look for something it's not there, but when you least expect it, it is there'. And the appearance of the Black-capped Kingfisher literally was the case. Whilst shooting other lowland birds - my eyes set upon a rather familiar looking bird! I couldn't believe my eyes and luck! Two Black-capped Kingfishers, yes not one but two, were perched approximately 25 meters away from where I stood, on the gravel road! They did not make their customary calls which was why they did not catch my attention.

My camera instinctively zoomed in on the first bird and then the second! It could not have been a more appropriate 'bonus' to an already successful 'harvest' for the day's birding. :-)

Here are some photos for sharing.




Have a nice day! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment